Subheading


And, finding there was greater happiness and peace and rest for me, I sought for the blessings of the fathers, and the right whereunto I should be ordained to administer the same (Abraham, vs 2)

Monday, December 9, 2019

My ALS Journey: Life is not fair

I came across this from another ALS patient and felt it was good enough to adapt it into my own post. I haven't gotten to the point where I have lost all these functions yet but it's fast approaching. 

I certainly don't currently have this attitude most of the time but feel it's a good reminder. But my overall outlook is positive. Higher purpose is in all things we experience down in this world. 

Arms. Legs. Speech. 

You loose all of these to ALS. 
If only you could keep just ONE of these things. 

ARMS
If I still had use of the arms and hands there is so much that I could do! I could brush my teeth, feed myself, and scratch the itch on the top of my head. I could type without having to use my eyes, take pictures with my camera, and use my cell phone. Maybe I could even help to fold laundry. I could hug my family and friends. I could lift up my hands in worship.  

LEGS
If I still had use of my legs there is so much that I could do! I wouldn't need a power wheelchair. I could stand up, and get around the house with ease. I could get in and out of a car. I could go for a walk around the block. I could stroll along a beautiful, peaceful hiking trail. I could kneel down in prayer. 

SPEECH
If I still had use of my speech there is so much that I could do! Actually, I think that this will be the hardest for me to lose. It will take so much effort to say each word as it progresses. Most people cannot understand you most of the time. If I could still speak, then I could converse with friends. I could speak on the phone. I could talk and pray with my wife. I could teach and tell jokes to my kids. 

It would be so amazing just to have ONE of the things mentioned above. Why do I have to lose ALL of them? How do I deal with all of this? 
It isn't fair. 
It isn't fair! 
IT ISN'T FAIR!!! 
It isn't fair that... 
   -I have an amazing wife and children, but others live in families that are dysfunctional and abusive. 
   -I live in a safe place, but others live in war-torn countries surrounded by danger, violence, and death. 
   -To help me deal with ALS, I have or will eventually need a nice power wheelchair, an eye-gaze computer, a Trilogy breathing machine, a cough assist machine, PEG feeding tube when I'm unable to swallow, access to medications, and an amazing group of knowledgeable doctors, nurses and therapists, but others live with ALS in parts of the world where they have to suffer without any of these things. 

I. Am. Blessed.  

"For I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength." (Philippians 4:11-13)

No comments:

Post a Comment