Subheading


And, finding there was greater happiness and peace and rest for me, I sought for the blessings of the fathers, and the right whereunto I should be ordained to administer the same (Abraham, vs 2)

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Gift of Healing: "ye of little faith"

The Lord these past few weeks has been teaching me a very important lesson about relying upon the Lord. I have often though for a long time medicine and other things are gifts from God. I have learned this is only partially true. I have learned Satan has also inspired many of the thing that we have today from technology, medicine, altering of foods, etc... I often, like probably most, go to the doctor first or my medicine cabinet. 

The past few days the Lord has revealed unto me that I should be seeking Him first. I came across the following quote by Joseph Smith.
Sunday, Sept. 5, 1841. I preached to a large congregation at the stand, on the science and practice of medicine, desiring to persuade the Saints to trust in God when sick, and not in an arm of flesh, and live by faith and not by medicine, or poison; and when they were sick, and had called for the Elders to pray for them, and they were not healed, to use herbs and mild food.—DHC 4:414. - Joseph Smith
For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith. (Romans 1:17)
Not only does Joseph relate things of this world as the arm of flesh, or others, but he goes on and says we should live by faith (rely upon God). Seek to be healed by Him first. If we are still not healed than we may use herbs and mild food. Doctrine and Covenants also illustrates this pricniple.
42:43 And whosoever among you are sick, and have NOT FAITH to be healed, but believe, shall be nourished with all tenderness, with herbs and mild food 
48 And again, it shall come to pass that he that hath faith in me to be healed, and is not appointed unto death, shall be healed. 
This is something I have started to work on even If I am not healed i can show the Lord I take it seriously to rely upon Him. I have lots to learn in this regard.

Another point I would like to point out. Sometimes we are meant to suffer from an illness for a time and won't be healed. If its the will of the Lord he won't heal us because its part of our growth. But this won't stop me from asking to see if it is His will I be healed or not.

After the appearance of Christ in 3 Nephi:17 He says the following.
7 Have ye any that are sick among you? Bring them hither. Have ye any that are lame, or blind, or halt, or maimed, or leprous, or that are withered, or that are deaf, or that are afflicted in any manner? Bring them hither and I will heal them, for I have compassion upon you; my bowels are filled with mercy.
8 For I perceive that ye desire that I should show unto you what I have done unto your brethren at Jerusalem, for I see that your faith is sufficient that I should heal you.
9 And it came to pass that when he had thus spoken, all the multitude, with one accord, did go forth with their sick and their afflicted, and their lame, and with their blind, and with their dumb, and with all them that were afflicted in any manner; and he did heal them every one as they were brought forth unto him.
All those who had faith, which were the survivors of the great destruction that had occured pre-3 Nephi 11 chapter and the "more righteous" among the people, were ALL healed. In this case they finally had arrived at the faith required so they ALL could be healed.

This is the type of society we will have when Zion returns. When we stop relying on the arm of flesh, ways of the world, or other men for our knowledge, but instead turn to God and receive revelation and be brought into the presence of God to learn all things.

How do we heal?
And whoso shall ask it in my name in faith, they shall cast out devils; they shall heal the sick; they shall cause the blind to receive their sight, and the deaf to hear, and the dumb to speak, and the lame to walk. (D&C 35:9)
It is by faith that we can heal others. It is by asking in faith that we can do these things. It does not say we are required to have the priesthood to heal others but faith in their behalf. Though there are some things that do require true priesthood to perform. But as I have discussed priesthood is your connection to the Powers of heaven, or the Powers that are IN heaven. Your association with them gives you power through your faith to heal. Even women can call upon these powers to bless and heal others. So all things are related to faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment