Subheading


And, finding there was greater happiness and peace and rest for me, I sought for the blessings of the fathers, and the right whereunto I should be ordained to administer the same (Abraham, vs 2)

Monday, February 24, 2014

The Gift of Dreams

I felt like i should record here my thoughts about the gift of dreams. This is one area I have attempted to keep a written record. I find the lord will stop giving you things if you fail to record that which he has given you. I also find dreams come when you do "not have a good night rest" so perhaps you shouldn't pray for that :).

I have had dreams before even as a teenager. I find sometimes I am taught things in a dream and wake up and cannot remember what the dream was but knew it was teaching me something. Hopefully my spirit had learned what was needed from those dreams.

I had talked to someone about dreams and the conversation is as follows.
Person A: I wasn't always able to remember my dreams very well, but while serving a mission I came across this scripture: "Behold, he hath heard my cry by day, and he hath given me knowledge by visions in the night-time." - 2 Nephi 4:23 I decided that night that I would pray with all the energy of my soul to ask God if He would help me remember my dreams. And it worked! Elder Richard G. Scott has suggested that we keep a notebook next to us while we sleep so that we may record the information that God sends us while we sleep.

We must also remember that we each have different spiritual gifts and that if we want more, we must be obedient and ask the Lord for them. Even then, it is up to the Lord to decide if He wants us to have that gift. We must also remember what these gifts are for: "For verily I say unto you, they are given for the benefit of those who love me and keep all my commandments, and him that seeketh so to do; that all may be benefited that seek or that ask of me, that ask and not for a sign that they may consume it upon their lusts." - D&C 46:9

So if you would like to receive information via dreams and remember them, just ask! Ask with a desire to benefit the spiritual progression of you and your brethren and not to just satisfy your curiosity.
Tyson (me): Ok, wow, I read this and took it to heart. I desired to have these things. I read this yesterday. I prayed to the father last night before I went to bed and asked basically "Father, I would like to have a dream and be taught, show me what you want me to do, what you want me to know, or thy will for me". I was so confident... 
Well I even told the Lord, look I have a study journal I don't use very often (for spiritual experiences) "I will put it next to my bed and write down anything that is shown and DO IT or respond to it if I know the meaning and can remember it". I went to the 3rd page which is empty, wrote tomorrows date Jan 30 2013 
So I haven't dreamed very often and recently I never remember my dreams as I normally have to sleep 9+ hours to have any. Lately lucky to get 8. Well I went to bed and woke up at 3:30 am WITH a DREAM! It was so vivid I could remember every detail. I was so exhausted I forced myself to open my eyes. Swear it took forever to get myself to do so due to the exhaustion. Opened my study journal and learned it was too dark to write anything. Well i attempted anyways opening it to what I thought was the 3rd page (turns out it was the cover page) and wrote in the dark. Couldn't read it in the morning so had to re-record it
I choose the dream I received from this experience, there are others but I do not at the time have permission to share them here. The Dream: I have omitted the interpretations that the Lord gave to me and edited a few things...
The dream: First I was wondering, hovering, going down one of the streets by my parents house, turned down another street and was looking for food with others. I wanted something in specific but than we saw Taco Time and went there, We stopped there than I left and looked across the street. I saw a popular celebrity (I couldnt find his photo) who was suing another famous person I didn't know. It was for something like 47/57 million/billion dollars. I wasn't sure why he was than something came to me "That is what is wrong with America today". Than I reappeared (across the street?) wandering a big lot (looked like two places combined) and walked into two stores with nobody in the parking lot and inside. The second store was an Asian type of store and I felt like "I shouldn't be here on the sabbath" and than I left and thought even though I didn't buy anything I shouldn't of gone in there." I looked around and realized that was why nobody was around (sabbath day). Third part happened down the street from the places I was at. I saw a person who I had grown up with and he was getting ready to run. The news was on him or something like that. Than the race started and he was trying to finish the race in 3 mins and 15 seconds (3.15 mins, could of been for a record but unsure) and he crossed the finish line. After he did I was under the assumption he finished in time but barely. He than fell on the ground in exhaustion and almost passed out. The only reason I'm not sure now if he finished in time was after he about passed out it changed quickly to him going into push ups with a bunch of people around him (like they do in the military or as a punishment for not finishing something) and yelling at him to keep doing pushups. 
Commentary: It was very strange and would think nothing of it but now that I write about it I see things to learn from it. 
 They may seem like nothing at first but as soon as i wrote it down the lord had shown me the meaning of two of the three dreams (really it was one long dream). Some dreams the interpretation is given during the dream as clear as scripture, others require you to pray for interpretation.

Satan is out to deceive so we should confirm that what is given is from the Lord and receive an interpretation from him with all things.


There are many scriptures on this gift, search them out. The lord asks us to diligently seek and enhance our different gifts. This is one we should all seek after.

No comments:

Post a Comment