Subheading


And, finding there was greater happiness and peace and rest for me, I sought for the blessings of the fathers, and the right whereunto I should be ordained to administer the same (Abraham, vs 2)

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Joy

Where does Joy come from?

Here is a scripture that references Jesus Christ.
11 For, behold, the Lord your Redeemer suffered death in the flesh; wherefore he suffered the pain of all men, that all men might repent and come unto him.
12 And he hath risen again from the dead, that he might bring all men unto him, on conditions of repentance.
13 And how great is his joy in the soul that repenteth!
14 Wherefore, you are called to cry repentance unto this people. (D&C 18:11-14)
He tells us how great is His joy in the soul that repenteth! When a soul repents it gives Him joy. Than he tells us in verse 14, go cry repentance unto this people. Telling us look, these people give me joy, now go bring them unto me. Now do we get that same joy when we bring one unto Christ?
And now, if your joy will be great with one soul that you have brought unto me into the kingdom of my Father, how great will be your joy if you should bring many souls unto me! (D&C 18:16)
So here we learn we receive this same joy that Christ enjoys by bringing one soul unto Him. Than he continues how great shall it be if you bring many souls unto Him? So the more souls that come unto Christ brings greater joy not only for Christ but for the person that helps in that same work.
Adam made the following statement regarding joy.
Blessed be the name of God, for because of my transgression my eyes are opened, and in this life I shall have joy, and again in the flesh I shall see God. (Moses 5:10)
In this life Adam shall have joy. Consequently this joy he also connects with in this life I shall see God. Are they similar events? What is this joy? Where does it come from?

We learn the body and spirit inseparably connected receive a fullness of joy.
33 For man is spirit. The elements are eternal, and spirit and element, inseparably connected, receive a fulness of joy
34 And when separated, man cannot receive a fulness of joy. (D&C 93:33-34)
The savior explained a little more around these verses,
10 And for this cause ye shall have fulness of joy; and ye shall sit down in the kingdom of my Father; yea, your joy shall be full, even as the Father hath given me fulness of joy; and ye shall be even as I am, and I am even as the Father; and the Father and I are one; (3 Nephi 28:10)
 We learn that adam fell that men might have joy.
25 Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy. (2 Nephi 2:25)
From previous scriptures we learn joy comes from bringing souls unto Christ. Christ has joy in the souls that repents. So if he has been given a fullness of joy is he referring to those whom he has joy in? Is that why they will be just like Christ and the Father? Like Christ, because Christ will be their Father in whom they will have joy? And like the Father because they have joy in those they have brought unto Christ? Thus they have joy in those they brought unto Christ, and joy in Christ? If true is this some kind of family or association?
I am just asking a few questions, not that I have come to any conclusions on this matter. But I find these are indeed interesting thoughts to consider.

So,

Repentance brings joy.
Repentance is coming to the Savior, notice D&C 18:11.
Repentance does not mean, "stop your evil ways!"   It means, come to the Lord, partake of the fruit of the tree of life, it brings joy to your soul.
That is why preaching repentance brings joy...  It is not a message of condemnation, it is a message of life. 

And isn’t the plan of salvation entirely about preserving the Family of God?

The following scripture is about Ammon as mentioned in verse 16 “Ammon was going forth into the land, that he and his brethren met Alma” and they had “a joyful meeting”.
Now was not this exceeding joy? Behold, this is joy which none receiveth save it be the truly penitent and humble seeker of happiness.  (Alma 27:18)
Here it shows how we can receive joy but only if we are truly penitent and a humble seeker of happiness. No wonder it takes repentance to receive Joy. Now can we really have joy in this world?
Wherefore, fear not even unto death; for in this world your joy is not full, but in me your joy is full. (D&C 101:36)
Why is it that in this world our joy is not full? Why is it that in Christ our joy is full? Can our joy be full in this world if it’s in Christ only? Why is it Adam said “in this life I shall have joy” (Moses 5:10) and the Lord said “in this world your joy is not full” but “in me your joy is full”?

It seems to me that from these scriptures that joy does not come from the world. It does not come merely by believing in Christ. It comes from coming unto Christ, by partaking of the tree of life, and by as Adam said, “in the flesh I shall see God”. And we will have joy in the souls that we bring unto Christ (D&C 18:16). Just like we will have joy in Christ (D&C 101:36) just like Christ will have joy in the souls that come unto Him (D&C 18:11).

Final Two Questions:
1)      Can we experience the blessings of eternal life, a fullness of joy, the same fullness of the celestial glory, while in this life?

2)What is it about the Family of God that brings joy and our need to associate with it to receive that joy? (Referring again to this phrase “in this life I shall have joy, and again in the flesh I shall see God”)

No comments:

Post a Comment